Would you like to fall in love your backyard again? Today’s homeowners are adding onto their living space by extending it to the outdoors. But what do you do if you live in a climate that has some pretty rough winter weather? Whether it’s your deck or patio, you can enjoy your outdoor living space all year long by adding a few design elements.
Outdoor livings spaces are not new to the building scene. More and more homeowners are creating beautiful “rooms” right in their backyards. Beyond the obvious benefit of having a fun place to entertain family and friends, their homes increase in value and curb appeal. Whether it’s renovating an existing deck or patio, or creating new space, here are 5 ways you can enjoy your outdoor living space all year long:
- Adding a source of heat near seating areas: Just imagine gathering around your outdoor fireplace or firepit while drinking hot cocoa and roasting marshmallows. Comforting, right? With the right renovation or construction plan for your deck or patio, this could be a reality that would make memories throughout the year, especially on those cool fall or colder winter evenings.
- Building a “roof” or “pergola” type structure over your outdoor living space: During the summertime, a roof or pergola will provide welcomed shade during those hot days. Likewise, in the winter, it can provide shelter from the elements. You can have fans and special lighting installed to enhance the living space even further.
- Installing hardscape elements to your design that define and enhance the use of your outdoor living space: Whether it’s laid stonework, tile, brick, poured concrete, or wood (natural or composite), you can enhance your backyard living space in a myriad of ways. One example would be installing a stone fireplace that would be used for multiple purposes. You could include built-in storage for firewood along with a flat-screen TV for watching the game on a winter evening.
- Adding a spa to your outdoor space: Relax under the winter night skies in a cozy spa or hot tub. You may even like the thought of installing a sauna room on your deck or patio.
- Creating the outdoor kitchen of your dreams: Just because it’s winter, doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy using an outdoor kitchen. By incorporating various hardscape features, like roofing and sources of heat, you can cook and entertain outside all year long. All it takes is a great design idea.
If you’re ready to create an outdoor space that you can use all year long, give the professionals at Prominent Builders and Design a call. We will be happy to talk with you about all your options and will work with you to create and implement a design plan that matches your desires and budget.