You are interested in building a new home or adding an addition to your existing home… how do you select a design plan that’s right for you? Everyone has different tastes in home styles. Design needs will also vary based on where one is in life – single, newly married, starting a family or downsizing. Answering these 7 questions will help you in your home design selection.
- What floorplan style do you prefer? There are a number of design styles to consider. Do you prefer a traditional floorplan where all the rooms are separated by walls, or are you more comfortable with an open-style floor plan?
- What type of design will best suit your family? If you are starting a family, a two-story home may be your preference. For those who are downsizing, you may want everything all on one floor.
- How will your family change in the next 5 to 10 years? Life is unpredictable so you won’t be able to plan for every contingency. However, if you plan to stay in your new home for quite some time, you will want to think beyond the needs you have today and plan for tomorrow.
- Will your preferred home design plan work on your lot? The size of your lot and the way it’s oriented will dictate the type of plan(s) from which you can choose. There may be set-back requirements that will be a factor in your design plan selection.
- Are there any features you would like in your new home that you don’t have in your current home? Perhaps you need more storage space or you would like to have a great room or entertainment room where family and friends can gather. By answering this question, you will be able to incorporate more of the features you desire in your new home.
- Will your existing furniture work or will you have to buy new furniture? As you think about the floor plan and rooms you will have in your new home, you will want to consider how your existing furniture will fit. That huge sectional may be too big for the living room in your new home. Buying new furniture is a significant investment, so it’s always a good idea to consider this when selecting your design plan.
- Does the design plan fit within your budget? We all have an idea of what we want our dream home to be. Unless you have an unlimited budget, it’s important to know how costs will affect the design plan and then select one that fits within your budget.
The simplest way to select the design plan that’s right for you and your family is to work with the professionals at Prominent Builders. We will let you know all your options and can walk you through the entire process.