Warmer weather is on the way, and we will soon be enjoying the company of family and friends – having BBQs, playing in the yard with the kids, catching fireflies, and relaxing. Yard work will always be a constant, but you can minimize the time you spend maintaining your home by going through this checklist now. Here are 7 tips to get your home ready for summer:
- Get your A/C unit tuned up. Regular tune-ups will keep your central air conditioner working trouble-free for years. A heating and cooling professional will inspect and clean the components and let you know if there are any issues so you can fix them before they break down. They don’t cost much, but they certainly provide many benefits.
- Prepare for bugs. Ants, gnats, and mosquitoes can be a downer when trying to enjoy your yard. While you can’t eliminate them, you can try to keep them at bay by removing the places that help them breed. Clean up piles of leaves in your beds, check for water pooling where mosquitoes breed, and ensure that shrubs and trees are not touching the siding of your home. You may also want to inspect the screens on your windows and repair or replace any that have holes in them.
- Reseal doors and windows. Many homeowners take care of this task in the Fall before the colder weather sets in. This is a task that lends itself to doing in the Spring. You will want to look for spots where caulk is missing, cracked or peeling. Reseal them to prevent water leaks. It’s also a prime opportunity to repaint any window frames. If you decide it’s time to replace windows, call us. We can replace them, especially if your home is too dark. We can assist you in designing a plan that will bring more light into your home. Check out our blog “Bring in More Light with These Ways to Brighten Your Home.”
- Check for water leaks. Spring showers bring more than Spring flowers. The abundance of heavier rains brings the potential for leaks in areas of your home. Check for any water damage. If you find any signs of leaks, give us a call. We can install a new roof. As you’re thinking about the basement, if it’s unfinished, we are happy to discuss any ideas you have for finishing off this space. Give us a call.
- Clean the gutters. Many people do this in the Fall, but if you waited, now is the perfect time to get them cleaned. Doing so will ensure that rainwater can flow where it needs to go. It will also protect you from having problems with your roof.
- Spruce up your garden beds. Weeding and mulching can become a big task. Once it’s done, you can relax in your oasis.
- Clean your patio furniture. It’s time to get the patio furniture out of storage or take off the covers and enjoy the outdoors. Use a gentle, environmentally safe cleaner and your garden hose to clean off last year’s grime, and then sit and relax. Don’t like your outdoor living area? No problem! Whether it’s a deck, an outdoor kitchen, or a new patio, the professionals at Prominent Builders and Design have the expertise you need to design and install the outdoor space you always wanted. Give us a call today to talk about your project.
We hope you found these tips helpful for preparing your home for the summer months. Enjoy your summer and your loved ones!