Tired of the outdated look of your home but don’t want to think about buying or building a new one? A home renovation project may be the answer to creating your dream house. If you aren’t sure where to start, we may have some answers to help you decide on which of the top 5 home renovations projects to incorporate into your current design.
Before we talk about the renovation projects, and since it’s so important, let’s talk about your Return on Investment (ROI). Any home renovation project has to make sense, not only for your current financial status, but when it comes to selling your home. Each year, Remodeling Magazine comes out with their “Cost vs. Value Report.” It takes a detailed look at the ROI for the more common remodeling projects around the country.
Their 2019 Cost vs. Value Report definitely shows a robust market for home remodeling. Kitchen and bathroom remodeling projects remain at the top of the list. After that, you have deck and patio additions providing a high ROI. Surprisingly, front door and garage door replacements also yield decent returns.
All these types of remodeling projects provide excellent solutions to upgrading the look and function of your current home while increasing value. Any one of those projects is a great place to start. For a more in-depth look at how investments in remodeling projects play out, you can read Remodeling Magazine’s 2019 report here.
Now for a breakdown of the top 5 home renovation projects to consider for your home:
- A Bathroom Remodel – Whether it’s a remodeling project or an addition to your home, bathrooms are now the most frequently remodeled rooms in the home. When it comes to remodeling a bathroom or kitchen, you may want to stay away from some of the color and material trends. As quickly as they come into style, they will go out of style. Then, you’ll be stuck with a bathroom that becomes outdated. Our on-staff designers can assist you in selecting fixtures, sink tops, cabinetry, tiles and more to match your style while keeping the design relevant. Think of the features you would like installed. Low threshold and no threshold showers look beautiful while making it easier for older adults to get in and out of the shower safely. If space isn’t an issue, you may want to incorporate extra shelving and cabinets. Low-flow toilets and shower heads can help you save money on water usage. Add a steam room or sauna. Have radiant heating installed under your tile floors. You really can do a lot to create a space that is functional yet beautiful.
- A Kitchen Remodel – Kitchens really are the “hub” of most homes, especially if you have a large family and/or enjoy entertaining. If you’ve been dreaming of that gourmet kitchen, make this the year you start that kitchen remodeling project. We have several blog posts that can give you ideas on where to start. Just search our site for “kitchen.” Your kitchen remodeling project comes down to how much space you have to work with and being realistic with your budget. A center island with bar stool seating is still the rage when it comes to kitchen remodeling project. Upgrading to energy-efficient appliances will provide cost-savings over the long run. Storage space is always a plus and open shelving is now seeing its way into kitchen designs.
- Deck and/or Patio Additions – One of the simplest ways to add onto your living space is to add on a deck and/or patio. Enhancing comfort is the main goal of these open-concept spaces. Today’s deck designs feature clean lines, durable products and simple styles. If you love grilling, the perfect way to entertain family and friends during the summer is to build an outdoor kitchen. Decks and patios can be covered to protect from the elements, yet they provide a connection to the outdoors. You can build lighting fixtures right into your deck. Not only does it enhance the beauty of your outdoor space, it provides additional safety for those evening BBQs.
- Entryway Remodeling – What statement is your front entry making to the curb appeal of your home? Remodeling your front entryway may be just the replacement of your front door. Or, you can enhance the entire front of your home by creating a well-maintained path that leads to your front door. Add a porch or covered landing to the front door. Enhance the landing with eye-catching architecture. There really are a lot of ways you can change the look of the front of your home. Our designers can help by providing you with ideas.
- Your Home’s Exterior – From the installation of new siding to replacing the roof, there are many ways you can enhance the exterior of your home while providing an excellent return on investment. When making improvements to the exterior of your home, there are many products that will increase energy efficiency. We’ve covered a few of the latest energy efficient products in this blog post: Energy Efficiency in New Custom Home Construction as well as this one: The Latest Innovations in Residential and Commercial Construction.
Want to know the simplest and best way to remodel your home? Consult with the professionals and Prominent Builders and Design. We offer all services necessary to design and build your remodeling project from start to finish.