Building a new home is an exciting and rewarding process, but it also comes with many challenges and decisions. One of the most important steps is choosing the right builder for your project. A good builder can make your dream home a reality, while a bad one can cause you headaches, delays, and extra costs. In this month’s blog post, we share five critical questions you should ask a builder before embarking on a new home construction project.
To help you select the best builder for your needs, here are some of the questions that you should ask before signing a contract.
- How long have you been in business and how many homes have you built? This question will give you an idea of the builder’s experience and track record. You want to work with a builder who has been in the industry for a long time and has built many homes like yours. Make sure to research your builder online, and read reviews and any information that might be available about their business practices. It’s not uncommon to ask for references either, or even ask to visit some of their completed homes. If you have an opportunity to speak with a current homeowner, make sure to ask them how satisfied they were with the process and the final home, as well as the builder’s responsiveness to issues post-closing. Prominent Builders and Design has been helping Bergen County homeowners build and remodel their dream homes for almost 30 years. We are happy to provide references and a sample portfolio of the projects we’ve completed over the years.
- Are you licensed and insured? This question will ensure that the builder is legally qualified and financially protected to build your home. The requirements for each state are different, so make sure to familiarize yourself with what is needed for a builder in your state. Not only do you want a builder who is properly licensed, but you want to make sure that they have adequate insurance coverage for liability, property damage, and workers’ compensation. Don’t hesitate to ask for proof of these documents and check their expiration dates. Prominent Builders and Design is a family-owned company that provides a more detailed suite of services that you would receive from a general contractor. We also carry the appropriate levels of insurance coverage and are happy to provide that information upon request.
- What are the standard features and options that you offer? This question will help you compare different builders and their prices. Depending on the home plan and model, you should be able to clearly distinguish between the standard features of the home, and the upgrades. Upgrade costs should also be transparent so that there are no surprises. You should also ask about the quality and warranty of the materials and appliances that they use. This is especially important if you are looking to include green or “eco” materials in your home. The Prominent Builders and Design’s new home construction team can assist in the decision process by letting you know all your options. Contact us to talk about your new home construction project.
- How do you communicate and manage the construction process? This question will help you understand how the builder will keep you informed and involved throughout the building process. It should be clear how and when your builder will communicate with you – whether that is by phone, email, or in person on the job site. You should also ask about the roles and responsibilities of the builder, the supervisor, and the subcontractors, and how they will coordinate with each other and with you. This is important in case there are decisions that must be made during the construction process that may impact the cost or construction timeline. You can learn about Prominent Builders and Design’s process by clicking here: https://www.prominentbuilders.com/general-contractor-bergen-county/our-process/
- How do you handle changes, delays, and issues during construction? This question will help you prepare for any potential problems or surprises that may arise during construction. Every builder has their own policy and procedures for making changes mid-project. For example, if you want to upgrade a specific item once the project has begun, make sure to understand what is involved in that process and whether there are any penalties. You should also ask about how they will deal with any delays caused by weather, permits, inspections, or material shortages, and how they will notify you of any changes or issues.
These are some of the most important questions that you should ask your builder before starting a new home construction project. By asking these questions, you can find a reputable, reliable, and professional builder who can deliver your dream home on time, on budget, and with quality.
If you are interested in new home construction, contact Prominent Builders and Design today to schedule a consultation and review of your needs. We are happy to address these and many other questions to ensure that you are satisfied with your decision to build with the team of professionals at Prominent Builders and Design.