If you are looking to make an improvement in your home, then you may want to consider a bath to shower conversion. Converting a bathtub to a shower is a popular renovation project for homeowners, especially those with small bathrooms. Many homeowners choose to undergo this transformation to add more functionality and style to their standard bathroom configurations. In this month’s blog post, we examine the advantages and disadvantages of a bath to shower conversion and what’s involved in embarking on this renovation project.
Advantages and Disadvantages
Taking on any renovation project has both its advantages and disadvantages. Below are key advantages and disadvantages of a bath to shower conversion:
- Upgrade: A conversion upgrades your bathroom to a more modern style. This not only updates your home but can be appealing to many buyers in resale.
- Accessibility: Showers typically allow for easier access than bathtubs, which is helpful for people with mobility challenges.
- Space: Depending on the configuration of the shower, a conversion can add additional space to a small bathroom and create a more open feel.
- Efficiency: Showers require less water, and this saves on utility costs, while supporting the environment.
- Cost: Conversions are less expensive than other home renovations, but you will still need to have a decent budget and plan for unexpected expenses that may arise during the project.
- Project Time: A conversion project may take several weeks to months, depending on permitting and material availability. Remember, the bathroom is un-usable to household members during the renovation period.
- Resale: Some buyers may prefer a tub, especially if they have small children and the bathroom is a primary bathroom in the home.
You should always make your decision based on needs, preferences, and of course, your budget. If you work with Prominent Builders, we will consult with you prior to any project to determine the best fit for your needs.
Stages of a Basic Bath to Shower Conversion
The primary steps involved in this project include the following:
- Demolition: The existing bathtub needs to be removed.
- Plumbing: Plumbing may need to be adjusted or rerouted.
- Installation: A new shower enclosure and shower pan are installed.
- Tiling: The walls around the shower area are usually tiled for waterproofing.
Scope of Project
A bath to shower conversion project primarily focuses on the replacement of the bathtub with a shower stall, but many homeowners choose to complete a full renovation of their bathrooms. This is because the tile work required for the shower may impact the other aspects of the bathroom.
Homeowners may decide to upgrade their other bathroom features such as the vanity, countertop, toilet, plumbing fixtures, and even their electrical and venting.
There’s a wide range of materials that can be used in a shower conversion project. For the walls, you may choose tile, acrylic, or even fiberglass. For the shower floor, homeowners have a big selection to choose from including glass, porcelain, or ceramic tile to stone.
When it comes to a vanity, more homeowners are choosing “floating” vanities. A floating vanity is raised above the floor, giving a small amount of space that can be enhanced with under vanity lighting. Floating vanities provide a more modern look and feel to the bathroom. Along with the vanity, you may want to consider quartz or a composite material for the countertop. There’s also a wide variety of sink options from stone, glass, stainless steel, or traditional porcelain.
Finally, there are many ways to close off your shower – from sliding glass doors (if space is an issue), or frameless glass, to a glass partition wall. While frameless glass may cost more, it is visually aesthetic and create an open feeling in your bathroom.
Converting a bath to a shower is a significant home renovation project that requires careful planning. By considering the advantages and disadvantages and understanding the work involved, you can make an informed decision that best suits your needs and preferences.
Ready to move ahead with a home renovation project? The professionals at Prominent Builders and Design have been working with Bergen County homeowners for decades. We can bring your ideas to completion. Call us today to schedule a consultation.