List of Things to Consider When Building a New Custom Home
Building a new home is one of the most exciting experiences of your life. It’s also a big investment, so you will want to make sure you do it right. Planning is the key element in building a new custom home. To assist you, we have a list of things to consider before you start to build that new home of yours. These considerations will not only make the planning process easier, they will help everything go more smoothly from home plan selection to move-in day.
Make Sure the Home Design Fits Your Lifestyle and Needs
We can’t stress it enough – the design of your custom home should be well-thought-out. Life has a way of changing along the way. What we once thought to be ideal may not fit your needs in the upcoming years. That’s why it’s important to not only plan for the present but also the future. Here are some questions to answer that can assist you in creating a solid home design:
- Will you be starting a family? Needs will change as your family grows and then they will change again as the kids start their own lives. You can plan for that in your home design.
- Is this a home in which you wish to grow old? More people are beginning to incorporate features in their home design that will allow them to age-in-place. Learn more about this trend in our recent blog article.
- Have you decided on a purpose (present and future), for every room? Don’t build a room just for the sake of having a room. Now is the time to optimize the space you want in your new home.
- Where do you want to build your new custom home? If you’ve already selected the location, it’s prudent to check on the codes that your future home will need to meet.
- What features would you like to see in your custom home? Along with this question comes a discussion on your budget. You may want to create a list of features you would like to have in your new home and then decide how important those items are to you. Be realistic with your budget. You will need to set aside an additional 10% of your budget for unexpected expenses. Don’t forget about the exterior of your home – Patios, decks, walkways and landscaping should be included in your planning.
If you have no idea where to start with answering any of these questions, you will want to find a team that makes you feel comfortable with the new home building process. It’s important to trust your home builder. They should be able to walk you through these questions and more to assist you in creating the floor plan and home of your dreams.
The Floor Plan – It’s All in the Details
It’s going to be your dream home, and since you are having it custom-designed, now is the time to decide on the details that will make up your home. Think about things like:
- The width of the hallways
- The height of ceilings
- The widths and types of doorways (double doors, etc.)
- Home lighting – natural and/or artificial
- Storage space (you can never have too much storage space!)
- Wiring for home automation
- An open or closed floorplan
- Washer and dryer placement
- The type of HVAC system
- Kitchen features (center island, open to great room, etc.)
- Central vacuum system
- Flooring types
- Radiant floor heating
- Appliances and their efficiency
- The list goes on…
Building a custom home takes a lot of involvement on your part, which can sometimes feel overwhelming. That’s one of the major reasons it’s important to work with a home builder who understands the added demands that are placed on you. The professionals at Prominent Builders have developed a reputation for their construction knowledge and craftsmanship. To get a better idea of what to expect, you can view one of our latest customer testimonials here.