Going through a home renovation project can be somewhat stressful, especially if you are unsure of the process. You want to make sure you are doing things correctly, and that takes considerable planning. Otherwise, you could end up with a big mess and budget overruns. You can avoid some of the pitfalls, and that’s what this blog post will go over.
Here are some of the more common mistakes people make when renovating their home and how you can avoid them:
- Setting a budget that’s unrealistic. There’s “pie in the sky” and then there’s reality when it comes to budgets. Maybe you can splurge in some areas and be a little more cost-conscious in others. When creating a budget, you will want to build in an extra 20% for any unforeseen costs that may arise – they do happen. Don’t let them catch you by surprise or by the seat of your wallet. Working with a professional like Prominent Builders and Design can provide you with the confidence you need to create a budget that will work for you.
- Selecting an architectural style that doesn’t compliment the look of your home. While a home addition doesn’t need to exactly match the original structure, at the very least, it should complement the current style of your home. Doing so will not only make sure the addition doesn’t look out-of-place, but that you protect the value of your home when it comes to selling. You will also want to make sure you aren’t overbuilding and that the finished look of your home isn’t significantly different from the homes in your neighborhood.
- Sacrificing function. Before renovating your home, consider the reasons why you want to make the changes. What do you want to accomplish? Are you trying to make more space as your family grows? Look at not only what’s presently going on in your life, but think about the future. Do you want to live in the home when you are retired and getting older? Thinking about these things before you start the renovation project will help determine important details like traffic patterns, placement of outlets and smart home features, to name a few.
- Being too trendy. It’s wonderful to update the look of your home, but not at the expense of its resale value. Trends are just that… trends. They are short-lived. Our professional designer can assist in this area by providing options that will endure.
- Selecting appliances toward the end of the project. By choosing the appliances before you start your project, you can make sure the overall design will accommodate the items you want to have installed. No need to buy them right away, though.
- Buying and installing materials at the wrong time of the year. Certain seasons of the year lend themselves to being more advantageous when it comes to home renovation projects. Check out our blog article on the best seasons for different renovation projects.
- Buying cheap materials. Renovation projects aren’t inexpensive and we’re certain you don’t want to have to replace items a few years down the road because the product quality was poor. We can help you find materials that are durable but also match the budget you’ve set for the project.
- Having unrealistic expectations. While the finished project will provide you with years of pleasure, the steps toward getting there can be inconvenient. Once again, the professionals at Prominent Builders and Design can provide you with insight that will help you understand what you can expect before, during and after the renovation project.
Don’t leave your renovation project to chance. The team at Prominent Builders and Design has the knowledge and experience to bring your dream project to fruition. We will work with you every step of the way to make sure the end product is one that you will enjoy for years to come. Contact us today to talk about renovating your home.