A great way to change the look and function of your home is with a home renovation project. It’s certainly a lot simpler than having to pack all your belongings and either find or build a new house (not that there’s anything wrong with those options). Even so, renovating your home does come with challenges of its own. That’s why we’ve compiled this list of home renovation dos and don’ts – designed to help make transitioning to your new space one that can be enjoyed for years to come.
It doesn’t matter if you’re replacing your kitchen, a bath, adding on an addition, or any other type of project, much of these items apply when it comes to renovating your home. We’ll start with the list of dos.
Dos for Renovating Your Home
- Make a plan. What do you want to accomplish with this project? Will it grow with your family, or will your family quickly outgrow the new space? Taking the time to come up with a plan will allow you to make sure the project is right for you. If you have a fairly good idea of what you want to accomplish, completing this step will probably be simple for you. However, if you have no idea where to start, you may want to bring in someone, like the professionals at Prominent Builders and Design, to help you ask and answer all the right questions.
- Set a budget. This is another step where asking and answering questions goes a long way to creating a final design plan that fits within your budget. Again, having a professional to assist will allow you to set a budget that is realistic. You will also want to make sure you have a contingency plan. The team at Prominent Builders and Design can also help you plan for the unexpected things that sometime occur when renovating a home.
- Talk to your insurance agent to make sure your new space doesn’t change the amount of coverage you need.
- Research and select a professional to handle the demolition and construction project. Take the time to interview several contractors and select the company that is right for you, and one that is properly licensed, insured and qualified. It will make all the difference in the world. For example, we can handle all phases of your project from concept through completion. See what Shadab Raziuddin had to say about his experience with Prominent Builders and Design.
Home Renovation Don’ts
- Do not work without a design. Most projects require the services of an architect and/or the expertise of an interior designer (Prominent Builders and Design has both). By starting your renovation project with a plan, you will be able to see whether or not the project will grow as your needs grow. In working with your contractor, you will see all your ideas on paper and will be able to catch problems before they are built… or set in stone.
- Don’t assume everything will go according to plan. When it comes to home renovation projects, expect the unexpected. This is why it is so important to work with a contractor you can trust, like those at Prominent Builders and Design.
- Don’t forget about safety. This is especially important if you have small children in your household. Make sure you protect them from the construction zones. This goes for pets, too.
- Avoid the urge to buy your own products. It may seem as though you would save money, but in the long run, your contractor will most likely have access to a greater selection of materials and can get a better price than you can get.
The team at Prominent Builders has been part of helping homeowners renovate their homes for over 25 years. We stand ready to help you achieve the home of your dreams.